Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

So when I participate in my daily afternoon ritual of a Diet Coke from the vending machine, I usually anticipate some sort of surprise: a cockroach, an encounter with my ex-boyfriend in the hallway, being run over by a runaway radial, etc. But today my unwelcome surprise occurred when I put the money in the vending machine and out came: a Christmas can of Diet Coke, complete with happy polar bears sending a note to Santa. Now, despite how irritated I get, I understand that some retailers need to remind people that Christmas is coming before Halloween. Although it makes me want to go into a tinsel-induced-frenzy, I get that malls and other department stores need to get people in the holiday mood early so that they will buy things and boost their pre-holiday profit margin. However:
COKE.
IS.
NOT.
ONE.
OF.
THESE.
COMPANIES!
People do not need to associate Diet Coke with the holidays in order to buy Diet Coke. It's not like people are in the grocery store and they see the polar bears and think to themselves "Aw, how cute, the polar bears are celebrating Christmas, I think I'll buy a 72 pack of Diet Coke in November in the spirit of a holiday that is still over a month away."
Grr-argh. I may have to stick with Diet Dr. Pepper until February....unless Coke has special Easter cans.....do you think a crucifixion on a can is too much?

2 Comments:

Blogger D said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:54 PM  
Blogger D said...

I actually like the Christmas designs that they put on the Coca-Cola two liter bottles. I also thought it strange that my synagogue would use the Christmas special Coca Cola bottles for food when I had events there.
On the other hand, I do not like it when stores set up Christmas displays early. I don't think they should set them up until after Halloween (at the earliest).

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home