Friday, July 15, 2005

Polite society at work and in the toilet

So there is this concept I have come to know as workplace etiquette. At times it can be a very refreshing change from the mean world outside; people bring in cookies and other goodies for a special occasion or for no occasion in particular, there is lots of door-holding, almost everyone says "Good morning" when I'm trying to sneak in late in the morning or "Good night" when I'm trying to sneak out early at the end of the day. But underneath all this politeness, some of the people (and, I hate to say it, it's mostly the women) are bitchy angerballs from hell. They say nice things to each other in the hall, in the bathroom, in the aisles, etc. But when they get behind their cubes the drama begins. I hate to spoil their fun, but cubicle walls are only about 5'3'' (I can barely see over the top of mine if I'm not in heels). Every little menopausal comment can be heard throughout the office.

One element of the politeness protocol that I am still having trouble with is the paper towel dispenser in the ladies room. Most of the time it is just me in there, so I can get my own paper towel. But sometimes I end up in there at rush hour (old ladies are so regular, it's like clockwork). Inevitably, I will exit the stall and there will be a bit of paper towel floating from the dispenser, enticing me to use it. At first, I was at a loss. It was like free paper towels. Then, I thought that the politeness had spread to the women's loo. But now, after careful observation, I have found that it is actually a germ thing. I understand there are some people who dispense their paper towel before they wash their hands so as to avoid re-mucking their hands up with the grody handle of the paper towel dispenser. But am I supposed to wait until they are done using the facilities to get my paper towel? I could take it, then give the next available hand-dryer a fresh sheet. But part of my anal retentive nature does not permit me to leave a bit of paper towel dangling. And I don't want one of the angerballs getting mad at me and calling me a towel-stealer or bathroom-disrupter or some other Seinfeldesque moniker.

I wish they would just install a second paper towel dispenser. That would make my life so much easier.

2 Comments:

Blogger rene said...

love the use of "angerball"! :o)

1:27 PM  
Blogger D said...

I've been one place where, in the bathroom, they have a roll of towels which is put vertically. You pull the towel out from the center of the roll of towels. It comes out of a small hole at the bottom of the towel dispenser. The towels are perforated, so that as you pull one out, the towel tears off, leaving the new one. This new one was pulled out (but not touched) by you, so the next person has a clean towel to use to dry his hands. (If you can't picture this in your mind, try picturing an upside-down can of baby-wipes)

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home