Monday, July 25, 2005

Here we go, Buccos, here we go!

So we took my dad to a Pittsburgh Pirates game for Father's Day.

For those of you who haven't been, PNC Park is a gorgeous ballpark. It is situated right at the juncture where the Three Rivers come together. The outfield backdrop is the Pittsburgh skyline, which for a blue-collar city is quite breathtaking.

The best part of the ballpark, however, is a small sandwich stand called the Primanti Brothers. The Primanti Brothers are a Pittsburgh institution (my dad used to walk down the hill from Pitt to eat their food). The sammich that they serve at the ballpark and around the 'Burgh has a hunk of meat, cole slaw, cheese, a fried egg, tomato and french fries on thick Italian bread. It is a memorable sandwich, mostly because you will keep it with you in the pit of your stomach for the rest of the day and around your middle area for the rest of your life.

Like most baseball franchises, the Pirates have tried to come up with interesting things between innings to keep fans better entertained. One of these is the Pierogi Race. Cheese Chester narrowly defeated Oliver Onion, whom the Pirate Parrot tripped as he entered the stadium. Bastard.

My dad is a huge baseball fan. I always felt a little guilty that I didn't take up the sport and learn about all that crap. So whenever I get the chance, I try to take him to a game. But it can get boring sometimes (particularly when you are watching two bottom feeder teams, like Pittsburgh and the Rockies). So my sister and I entertained ourselves, much to the disappointment of our father:
1) "Where did clapping originate?"-Katelyn

2) "That guy is cute."-Me
"He plays for the other team." Katelyn
"So? I'd still take him home with me."-Me
"You will do no such thing!" My father
"Is it because he is a man, or is it because he is not a Pirate?"-Me
"Just watch the game." My father
"Oo, he threw his helmet because he got out. That's not very sportsmanlike."-Katelyn
"It doesn't change the fact that he's cute."-Me
3) "Oo, I definitely want a pirate wedding."-Katelyn
"Rum and hardtack? I think Dad can afford that."-Me
"Really, I just want a cannon to announce me."-Katelyn


4) After Pirate first baseman makes a diving catch and hurts his shoulder:
"Walk it off!"
"Rub some dirt on it!"
"There's no crying in baseball."
"Wow, what a great play--hey, where's Dad?"
"He went to get me some lemonade."
"He missed the best play of the game."
"Yeah, probably."

We're going to a Yankees/Indians game in a couple weeks. I'm sure my father is looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home