Sunday, April 10, 2005

Ch-ch-changes

So I've decided that I might need to make a few changes in my life (a weekend of Greenday's Boulevard of Broken Dreams will do that to you). But being the person that I am, I needed some sort of sign that I was making the right decision. Right on par for my life, I got two signs:
First sign
So Sunday was a beautiful day, meterologically speaking. The sun was shining through some high cirrus clouds and it was warm. I raised my blinds and opened the window for the first time since the fall. I took a deep breath and sneezed (I love spring, but the growing things with their buds and pollen just kill me). I sat down at my computer with my back to the window. A slight noise behind made me turn around. On the shelf near my window, my house plant, my tiny, undernourished, neglected house plant, was moving. I jumped out of my chair to go look. I checked for a breeze, but there was none. It didn't move again, so I went back to my computer. A couple minutes later I looked back and the plant had moved again: the tiny leaves were inches higher than they were that morning. The leaves were moving toward the sun. And, being the dork that I am, I made a connection: this plant, this NON MOVABLE object, was reaching up toward the sun, the bright spot, the source of life for a house plant. Maybe there is something in life worth fighting for, and the status quo is not acceptable, and I should be reaching for something more.

Second sign
So have you ever noticed that there are certain ways that you have always done things and if you try to do them a different way you get screwed up, even with the simplest tasks? Like if you try to take a different way to work or school you forget where you are going? I have always, always put my pants on with my right leg first, then the left. As I went to put my pants on this morning, I stopped myself and thought, why do I always put the right foot in first? It seems silly. Pants are pants and it shouldn't make a difference. So I removed my right foot from my right pant leg and picked up my left foot. I put my left foot in the left pant leg. Seemed easy enough so far. Apparently, however, I did not put my left foot all the way through the left pant leg, so when I went to put the right foot in the right pant leg I didn't have enough pant to pull up. I lost my balance for a moment (the left foot is not used to being the primary leg in the pants process) and, since every outfit and every shoe I own is on my bedroom floor, I had no place to put my entangled right foot. I tripped over my suitcase still not unpacked from vacation and hit my head, hard, on the side of my dresser. As I lay on the floor reeling, and trying to get my feet out of my pants, I made another connection: maybe the status quo is the status quo for a reason, and when you go around trying to change things that shouldn't be changed, you end up in a pile of clothes on the floor with a bump on the head.

I also decided to wear a skirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home