Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Third update on the Wookiee

So my boss has been out of the office recently. And the Wookiee has decided that his office is a great place for him to have his private cell phone conversations. Today, he actually shut the door because I was having a conversation with an engineer that was disturbing his sycophantic conversation. Thank God, the Wookiee is leaving for greener pastures (he transferred law schools so he is leaving his job that he only worked at for a month and a half).


OOOO! My boss just came in and found his door shut (he never shuts his door unless he's on a secret conference call). I'm typing this as it happens, so I will do my best to transcribe:
"What the hell...Jessica, who's in my office?"
(Scrambling to put something in front of the Blogger homepage on my desktop) "I believe it is [Wookiee]..."
"[Wookiee] who?"
"The new guy, from IP."
"What's he doing in my office?"
"I dunno, but I think he's on his cell phone."
"Who does he think he is?"
(Resist the urge to call him a Wookiee) Shrug.
Boss drops his bag and stands in the window, waiting for the Wookiee to turn around and acknowledge his presence. As the seconds turn to minutes, the back of Boss' head turns a deeper shade of red.
Finally, Boss reaches over and softly turns the knob on the door.
(from inside the office) "....well, like I said I really appreciate the opportunity you've given me, Professor C[name withheld to protect the bullcrap], I....oh, Mr. [Boss]."
Silence while Boss enters the office and puts down his bag.
"I was just making a phone call, Jessica said you wouldn't be in today."
"No I didn't, that was yesterday." I said from my cube. Moron. No way you are bringing me down with you.
"I didn't think you would mind me using your office."
"No? Why couldn't you make the phone calls from your desk?"
"Oh, well they weren't work related so...."
"So you've been on the phone for--Jessica, how long has he been in here?"
Trying not to sound like I've been keeping track "Half hour?" (36.5 minutes)
"You've been on the phone for half an hour when it is not work related?"
"Yes, sir, I was trying to coordinate with my new boss...."
"Your new boss?"
"Yes, sir, my last day is Wednesday."
"Thank God, now we can stop paying you for using my office to make personal phone calls."

I tried to keep the smug glee off my face as the Wookiee slunk back to his cube with his tail between his legs. (Do Wookiees have tails? I don't think they do....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home